AT&T Truevision TARGA support under v4l?

Esteemed coders,

Looking for some fame?

Here's a crazy thought: a v4l driver for the old TARGA video boards made by Truevision! Has anyone else out there dabbled with such a crazy idea? Has anyone else out there ever done any coding? I have access to nearly the entire line up to the TARGA2000 EISA board--all of which are severely outdated and no longer supported by Truevision, which is now (I think...) a Pinnacle subsidiary of some sorts. The thing is, these video cards were quite expensive indeed, and very capable at the time, and still remain in use by thousands of digital imaging professionals with software such as HiResQFX, Rio, Panorama, Lumena, and others. I'm doing hardware support for one such professional, and we're constantly running into problems as the base machines get upgraded (because he can still make a fair amount of money doing his magic with these old cards and old apps) but we have to cripple them with nasty things like NT3.51 or even DOS to provide the environment in which these old apps work. You can probably imagine how painful it is to install an M$ operating system on such nice hardware.

What a wonderful world it would be if all these users of otherwise high-end, specialized systems could take fuller advantage of modern computer hardware by having support for these still-useful NTSC boards under a REAL operating system! Broadcast quality rendering and frame-grabbing, and a chance to expand v4l (and v4l2, of course) into new markets! Obviously, there's a fair amount of self-interest here: I have no great desire to continue to configure dual-boot NT/DOS machines, and this photographer friend of mine has several older TARGA boards sitting around that I'd love to be able to put in a Linux box and make use of, but there's not a scrap of TARGA support under Linux that I've been able to find on the web. I can only hope that support can be crafted under a GPL.

And...I'm not a programmer. To be even more brutally honest, I have almost no idea what it would take for someone who is a programmer to be able to interface with this ancient hardware. I do know they're Brooktree based, if that can whet your appetite, but I doubt I'd be much more helpful than a cheerleader in such a programming adventure, though I'd happily do what I could, including testing, and maybe even trying to get technical data about ports and such. (Ok, so I taught myself x86 assembly back in the early eighties, and I am a hardware technician who specializes in old stuff, but I think I have some sort of genetic block against being able to understand C, and I've decided to become a botanist and follow my mom's hobby instead of my dad's for now.) But...I really really would love to see TARGA support in v4l, and I'd wager a guess that my photographer friend (an authorized Truevision dealer, by the way) would be willing to help quite a bit, too. I'm sure you're thinking that it'd be great to be able to have one of these boards on loan for development...well, convince me the goal is achievable, and I'll see what I can do towards that thought! Any takers? Contact me via email if you wanna chat about this...please!! (self-interest is a strong motivator..)

-P

p.s. If you want a sample of the low-level interface to the TARGA+ board as an example, take a peek at http://thorkildsen.no/faqsys/docs/targa.txt for a listing of the control ports and their parameters. At first I thought maybe an XFree86 driver would be a neat idea, but I really think a v4l interface would be more useful...just a thought. Systems with TARGA boards are most often dual-monitor systems anyways.