streamer problems (was:Re: bttv+scsi writing)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
>Another inconvenient problem is that if I record uncompressed yv12 video at
>full resolution and rate to the SCSI disk with streamer, it says often
>"fifo audio is full" and the audio will go out of sync with the video. With

This was a problem with reiserfs, works fine with ext2. I would assume this
could be fixed with more audio buffers but "-b xx" is only for video
buffers, correct?

Anyway, I have another problem when recording long video: the audio will go
out of sync with video. Not much, about 1 sec per hour but that means it is
off 2 secs at the end of 2 hour movie which is far too much. Streamer
displays this in the status line with something like
"audio +1.xx  video -0.002" and it's also visible when viewing the video.

How does streamer synchronize audio to video? Dropping/duplicating frames
or audio samples? I am afraid it does neither, and then it can not possibly
work anyway since video and audio are clocked from different unsynchronized
clocks.

I'm using streamer 3.72, kernel 2.4.21, bttv 878 card=24 tuner=0 PAL.
CS46xx audio driver from ALSA, MagicTView card. Dual 933 MHz PentiumIII.

------

Nevertheless, I'm looking for some video recording software (for Linux of
course). Suggestions? streamer is the best by far from all others I have
found:

vstream 0.4.5
- no sound (also xsv and xvf don't work)

mencoder 0.90
- drops frames, no sound

avifile/avirec (0.7-0.7.16)
- drops frames, --rectime crashes

ffmpeg (cvs-2002-10-28)
- slow frame rate (~1 Hz) with pcm audio codecs. with mp3 it would work
  better.

lavrec (mjpegtools-1.6.0)
- complains that audio buffer size != fragsize. Adding some printf's I saw
that the audio buffer size is 4096 while fragsize is 1024. I tried changing
the buffersize by editing the code but then it skips about half second once
a second of video.

So this question still stands: