Re: Re: Device or resource busy error using bttv-0.9.11

Hi Hermann,
Thanks a lot for u'r comments and suggestions.If we make v4l2 available, will the problem in discussion get over? If so how to make v4l2 available in my system ? I want to work in framebuffer device in linux console. so i will use "fbtv"(Framebuffer Tv) from "xawtv". I don't want X Windows.So it is not possible to work in "zapping".What I want is to watch TV using "fbtv" (xawtv) and record the video streams in parallel with "xawtv" using "ffmpeg".

Thanks in advance.

With Regards,
S.Suriya Mohan.

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 hermann pitton wrote :
Es schrieb suriya mohan:

> Hi hermann,
> Thanks. Now "bttv-0.9.11" compiles without any error and the
> new
> bttv driver is loaded sucessfully.
> "bttv: driver version 0.7.106 loaded". Line from dmesg.

What 0.9.11 loads with 0.7.106 version? There is no v4l2.

> I updated bttv driver to avoid Device or resource busy error. What
> want is, I want to run "XAWTV" in parallel with "FFMPEG".
> "streamer"
> from "xawtv" records video streams in ".avi" extensions. I want
> record video streams directly into "mpeg" form. So I recorded
> video
> streams in "mpeg" form using "ffmpeg". When I execute "ffmpeg"
> in
> parallel with "xawtv", "Device or resource busy" error occurs. I
> want
> to watch TV using xawtv and side by side record video streams
> using
> ffmpeg. "xawtv" uses "/dev/video0" to grab video streams.
> "ffmpeg"
> also uses /dev/video0" to record video streams. One of our user in
> our
> mailing list adviced me to upgrade "bttv" driver to overcome
> this
> error. Still the problem persists. How to avoid this ?

As said I have no bt-card and no running bttv.

Did you try to play the .mpg file with xine during recording?
Also zapping uses ffmpeg for recording and you will see the tv. Look for a newest version with an actual ffmpeg to avoid a/v sync problems. Don't
know the status.

With the saa7134 driver I can launch xawtv -noxv in overlay mode to have a preview during ffmpeg or for example divx4rec is doing the capture. Don't know why you don't get it, because it seems recording with xawtv
works.
Afaik, it does exactly that then. (try 0.9.11)

It is possible, because in overlay the datastream goes over the pci-bus directly to the videocard and doesn't disturb the capture process.
To get otherwise a "device busy" is not an error.

About seven weeks ago, there was a "Proposal for channel coordination between multiple v4l2 users" here on the list and a main point was priority handling on devices. Changes and improvements are already in 2.6.0-test and I see it also in the patch-2.4.22-pre10-kraxel. (You can
also test, if it fits for 2.4.22-rc1 :)

Maybe something more is on the way, don't think you need a second
tv-card.

Hermann