Re: buggy v4l apps (was: VIDIOCSYNC and bad data)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Ed Okerson wrote:

>> "The number of frames supported is device dependent and may only be one"
>> and the way my driver works, more than one buffer would be just waste of
>> memory.
>If the application cannot read the buffer fast enough, and at exactly the
>proper time, it will either miss frames, or get corrupted frames.  This my

No it won't. The camera driver (qc-usb) has internal double buffering. When
application calls VIDIOCSYNC, the mmap buffer is filled from an internal
buffer, but the actual capture for the buffer can start much before.

>> My driver has workaround for buggy applications which emulates two buffers
>> with just one by placing them into same memory address. But this feels a
>This is not the proper way to fix it.  And is more than a bit hackish.  If

Yes, as I mentioned, the proper way is to fix applications. But since there
are so many broken out there, the hack is just fine: it workarounds with
every application that has the bug.

>an application requires more than one buffer, yo never want to lie and say
>you have more than one if you don't.

Would you rather not to use ~30% of your applications than include a small
hack in a driver? (Also, the hack is by default disabled and can be enabled
with userspace program when needed).

>But maybe not so easy to fix everyones hardware.

There's nothing to be fixed in hardware (with respect to this thing).