Re: SAA7134 Sound disappeared

Christian Hack wrote:
I downloaded the latest snapshot on the weekend (20030724) and it now
supports multiple card options in /etc/modules.conf. i.e. you can now
have : "options saa7134 dsp_nr=1,2 video_nr=1,2" etc and it will assign
them correctly. Thanks Gerd. Are you following this thread silently?

I also am now 99.9% certain that the no sound bug is due to a mute
toggle in the driver. I can't explain the random volume levels, but it
does appear the volume level written to one of the card's registers is
random (but usually 2) possibly explaining the different volume levels -
from memory I have seen -2,0,1 and 2.
I've also discovered that the audio rescan (for stereo, mono, lang1 and
lang2) isn't always happening. This may be due to Myth not opening the
device the same way each time. It only works correctly after actually
setting the frequency. Myth remembers the last channel and thus doesn't
always retune every time you select to watch live TV. Something to do
with saa7134_tvaudio_do_scan not being called.

I am still trying to get a programming manual from Philips so everything
I've discovered is from mucking around with the driver so far. As I also
know little about Linux Device Drivers, I'm kinda guessing to some
extent too.

Christian

Ok, the problem is definitely something to do with muting. I have managed to work around the problem by effectively disabling the mute function. In the mute_input_7134() function in saa7134-tvaudio.c (line 182 in 0.2.8) I changed the line:
  mute = (dev->ctl_mute||(dev->automute&&(&card(dev).radio)!=in));
  mute = 0;
so that the tuner is always unmuted.

Now, it is recording every program with sound (so far anyway but it looks promising), and there is sound from the first startup. This is obviously not a real solution but I am happy as it means my MythTV box is actually useful for the first time.

Cheers,
Rob.