RE: SAA7134 Sound disappeared

I'm in Brisbane :)

> I downloaded the 0.2.8 version of the SAA7134 drivers and when I
> installed them, I couldn't get any sound out of the cards at
> all.  Then
> I did a make install on the old 0.2.7 files again and it worked again
> (as well as it did before anyway).  Then I made a copy of the 0.2.7
> directory and did a make clean / make / make install on that
> and I get
> no sound again so it seems to be a problem with the way the
> modules are
> being compiled.  The original compiled versions still work and there
> aren't any errors reported when compiling.

I did try using the 0.2.8 release after the 0.2.7 release and the
current snapshot (dated 170703 I think) with no difference between the
3. It appeared that sometimes I'd get sound and sometimes I wouldn't.
However, everynow and again, it will get to a point where where I can't
get any sound at all and can only get it working when I remove and
reload the modules.

> The only thing I can think of is that recently emerge upgraded my
> version of gcc from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3-r1 and glibc from 2.3.1-r4 to
> 2.3.2-r1.  Could this explain the lack of sound?  Picture and
> tuning all
> work fine but there is no sound (even with a speaker attached
> directly
> to the card output) no matter how many times I try.  I have
> rebuilt the
> kernel too but this seems to make no difference.

I found that when the sound wouldn't work in recording (either via
/dev/dspx OR the direct output), it quite often would work via the
direct output when I dropped back to the menu suggesting some sort of
mute toggle not always toggling properly.

I do however usually get sound after a number of retries.

> This is not a sound output issue as previous recordings play
> back fine.

Ditto

I'm currently trying to get a SAA7134 programming manual through some
contacts of mine (I'm an electrical engineer). If I could just get this
little prob sorted I'd be so happy.

CH