Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

Billy responded:

>  One annoyance with DV for NTSC is that it's 4:1:1 and converting from
>4:1:1 to the 4:2:0 you need for MPEG-1/2 is a pain to do well.  Still,
>that sort of annoyance is best left to those seeking ultra-correctness.

Not had a problem so far.  Unfortunately at this point it has all been done
under Windbloze.  But, a friend has been playing with Linux tools and as far
as I know, hasn't had a problem either.

>> BTW, before going to VCD and/or DVD, the NTSC setup level needs to be
>> removed.  So whatever tool you use, make sure that it can remove NTSC
>> setup, as the MPEG-1/2 standard does not use it and leaving it in will
>> cause problems.
>
>  What are you talking about here?  The Y'CbCr specs for MPEG-1/2 are
>the same as for DV.  Please clarify.

Please read what I wrote.  I said that the "NTSC setup" needs to be removed.
Most consumer, and even pro-sumer, devices will not remove NTSC setup when
fed an analog signal for conversion to DV.  The setup is left intact in the
DV data.  My DVCAM decks are like that.  No switch to tell it to remove, or
add, setup.  It records what you feed it.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign