Re: mpeg4ip and firewire

Dear Daniel,

On 5 Jul 2003, Daniel Jircik wrote:

> > Anyway, mp4live is more fun!! With Broadcaster, I am shure we would need
> > more knowledge of SDP files to escape the Quicktime trap, to make
> > http://bla/bla.sdp work, havent seen it yet, well, we might need a
> > "Quicktime Streaming Server" anyway, broadcast and the net...the many
> > aspects of mp4s.
>
> You don't need the Darwin Server. Just mp4live and mp4player. I'm

Yes, I know, since my first experiments with the live.com package and mpeg
1 video broadcasts in the lan, or mp3s.

> streaming on firewire ethernet (eth1394) with incredible results just
> using nfs. IE:
>
> mp4live /mnt/media/capture.sdp --headless (server)
> mp4player /mnt/media/capture.sdp (client)

But I am a fan of metafile experiments, see video/vnd.mpegurl, this works
with mp4player too, although the extensions mxu and mp4list (what Cisco
allready had from the beginning, there is gmplaylist or something like
that too, see README and code) is, unlike mplayer -playlist (or mpg123
-@), hardcoded (as m1u in Tristan Savatiers windows ce pockettv), and
http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs106/ . So http://bla/bla.sdp, it is a luxury,
one click streaming in the web, but I like it. This side of things.

> The slow machine is the bottleneck at 750mhz. 480x480 @ 30fps. Make sure
> hdparm is on and optimized. It would be nice to have vloopback
> capability on mp4player so it could run headless and into other
> programs, cinelerra, effectv, vj etc as a /dev/videoX (wishful
> thinking..)
>
> Use an identical filesystem on both machines to keep it simple.

I think in this artschool, I have mp4live with a framegrabber card at
home, where they have more G4 titaniums than everything, and cannot decide
which thinkpad to buy, for the DRM TCPA chip, they think this is a MUST,
but it is not fully supported by Linux, this is a mixture of the gossip I
heard and from what I know, I should make an installfest with apples
broadcaster, which seems to be an exact clone of mp4live, exept that it
supports firewire out of the box. The students are more interested into
octanes and flame than video4linux, they wnat to make movies.
Explaining them broadcast and unicast, where, when and how, that there can
be only *one* client with unicast and be it the darwin streaming server,
is heavy enough. May they be happy with broadcaster broadcasting and
darwins rtsp://bla/bla.sdp urls.

I think I should first try to put a classical mpeg4ip Redhat machine with
cheap tvcard into their aula, as a piece of art, the firewire video4linux
will come later, or maybe we can start with your detailled description,
in the school, bandwidth is no problem.

Long live the redskins and thanks a lot again!

H.