Re: mpeg4ip and firewire

Dear Daniel,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Daniel Jircik wrote:

> > has anybody ever got mp4live of the mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net package
> > to run with firewire?

Thanks a lot for your "mpeg4ip and firewire" manual! I forwarded this
snippet to the mpeg4ip Forum. I am not shure if I can make it run, I
remember sitting with Thomax in Bootlab trying to load PLIP, which is so
easy on FreeBSD...

> mpeg4ip does not have any support for firewire directly. However
> libdc1394  http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdc1394/ has a small
> utility called dc1394_vloopback. You can use this to send a 1394 device
> (camera) to a v4l pipe. You also need vloopback which is a kernel
> module. Hence you need to have kernel source included in your
> instalation. A good tutorial on using vloopback can be found at
> http://veejay.sourceforge.net. vloopback is somewhat orphaned and I
> recomend you use the hack from http://tibit.org/video/index.html
>
> Once you get these there is no do man page for dc1394_vloopback. Usage
> is as follows:
>
> dc1394_vloopback --v4l_dev=/dev/video2  (Assuming you have a capture
> card allready using /dev/video0)
>
> Then in mp4live you specify the input as /dev/video3 (the output of the
> pipe)
>
> Unfortunately you may have to use the normal resolution of the camera
> which is likely to be 640x480. Not much fun for streaming. This is also
> a good way to use xawtv to record from your 1394 device.

Thanks again!

> > I think all that mp4live needs is video4linux, there is video4linux

This is what Bill (author of mpeg4ip) wrote:

"Getting firewire working is not all that difficult,
actually.

Once you get the packets in, you need to
decode the video codec (in which the libdv
codec is supposed to help).

All very possible, it's a time thing - we'll probably
never get to it unless someone wants to
volunteer."

You? ;-)

> > support for firewire in Redhat, right?
>
> Only rudimentary card support. Get everything you need from the links
> section of  http://www.linux1394.org/ They have a very good getting
> started section.
>

> > mp4live runs here nicenst, on an old PII 233 Mhz with 176x144 15 fps and
> > 8000 b/sec aac audio, with Redhat 9.
>
> dc1394_vloopback is sort of cpu intensive. I think it's going to be
> beyond slow on that machine.

If this artschool in Cologne still wants those experiments, there will a
new thinkpad, I am not completely shure, if it wouldnt be better to use
one of their many shiny G4s with the Apple Broadcaster, that seems to
support firewire out of the box.

Anyway, mp4live is more fun!! With Broadcaster, I am shure we would need
more knowledge of SDP files to escape the Quicktime trap, to make
http://bla/bla.sdp work, havent seen it yet, well, we might need a
"Quicktime Streaming Server" anyway, broadcast and the net...the many
aspects of mp4s.

> Good Luck

Thanks again!

Heiko