Re: Firewire device support for v4l?

(I'm reposting a message I sent a few minutes ago -- I posted it with a
rather retarded subject by mistake; sorry for wasting bandwidth)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nathan Odle <linux@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > My question is - does the possibility exist to use a firewire device
> > with v4l?  If no drivers are there now (and I don't think there are),
> > is it even possible to write a v4l driver to support this?
>
> No, and this likely never happens.  It should be possible to write a
> driver with v4l2 API, but that will give you dv compressed frames,
> i.e. some app expecting to receive frames in RGB format will not work.

But what about a v4l driver for Digital Camera format (uncompressed video
over firewire); I'd assume it should be very easy to develop. Has it
already been implemented?

Actually, I remember somebody on this list saying they were working on a
v4l2 driver for DFG/1394 by Source Imaging -- which is, as I understand, a
standard Digital Camera device, so their driver would probably work with
any such device. Has any progress on that project been reported?

Another question still, are there any digital video frame grabbers
supported by v4l? (by that I mean a framegrabber that supports any digital
video format LVDS, RS-422, firewire etc.)
Thank you very much, any info is very much appreciated.

-L.