Re: Latest Test Results (was Re: Recent xawtv, overlay broken with V4L2)

Stian Jordet (liste@xxxxxxxxx):

> > What do you think the problem might be?  I'm still unclear on when
> > things crash and why.  The first bug report we got (bug 633039) was
> > just about the tuner not letting us set its mode, but I thought we
> > had that fixed.  Now it seems that there is a difference between
> > kernel versions, and that kernel panics are happening?
>
> I have already talked to you about this, both on mail and irc. I
> really don't think it's a problem with tvtime, but with the saa7134
> driver.  I'll try to do some more debugging tomorrow and file a
> bugreport with more info.

  Sorry, I remember now. :)   I think the only way to get this fixed
will have to be more specific investigation by someone with a card, or
if you have any suggestions for what I can do...  And yeah, there should
be a tvtime bug about this. :)

> But what DO happen (with SAA7134 0.2.2 (latest) and kernel 2.4.20 with
> latest v4l2 patch) is that xawtv works perfect in grabdisplay mode,
> but overlay gives black and white picture, which is a bit to the left
> of the xawtv frame. Several users have reported this.

  Yeah, and this is confusing to me.  Why would xawtv work in
grabdisplay mode, and tvtime would fail?  What was interesting was this
user who says that xawtv using the XVideo/v4l module causes the crash.
This makes me wonder if something is conflicting there between XVideo
being used and tvtime at the same time.

> Tomorrow I will try some v4l1 applications, and tell you about it. But
> as I remember, tvtime sometimes freezes my pc when I launch tvtime,
> some times it starts, but gives green pictures every second frame (or
> something). This is quite similar with mplayer. So I'm quite sure it
> is the saa7134 driver.

  I'm sure too but I want to help get this fixed soon, since the bug
reports are annoying. :)

> But I'll get back to you.

  Thanks,
  Billy