Re: WinTV USB does not work

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 02:55, Brian Lomasky wrote:
> I purchased the Hauppauge WinTV USB (USA) tv tuner, however, I am
unable to get
> it to work with Linux.  (It works fine on a Windows system, so I know
the
> WinTV box is good).

Okay I'm assuming because you've got the USA version, and your xawtv
freq. range is
set for us-broadcast, that your in the US and the TV format where you
are is NTSC.

> Prior to installing usbvision, I had to configure my kernel to include
I2C
> support, I2C bit-banging interfaces, Video for Liunux, BT848 Video For
Linux,
> and USB Zoran/Nogatech USBVision video support, as described in the
usbvision
> readme file.

Judging by the log output all this worked as it should have.

> When I installed usbvision, I had to duplicate the device_data line
for 4D00
> into 4D20, as the WinTV USB (USA) tuner identifies itself with 4D20,
and not
> the 4D00 as indicated in the usbvision.h file.

Can you confirm that it is reporting (0x573, 0x4D20)?  For example in
your /var/log/dmesg do you have a line that looks like this:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x573/0x4d20) is not claimed by any
active driver.

The reason I ask is if they have in fact started releasing these chips
in the US we may have to look at changing how we detect exactly what
hardware is in a WinTV-USB.

Okay tracing the problem back.  The reason you get:
> v4l: setformat
> v4l: capture probe 16 bit TrueColor (LE)...   v4l: timeout (got
SIGALRM),
> hardware/driver problems?
> ioctl: VIDIOCSYNC(int=0): Interrupted system call

is because the tuner chip and video decoder haven't been setup to talk
the the Nogatech chip.  So basic guess is that either the tuner chip or
video decoder was not detected or configured correctly.

Again looking at the log we can identify which chips were found:
> Jan  2 18:12:35 puny kernel: usbvision: device 0: i2c attach [saa7111]
> Jan  2 18:12:35 puny kernel: usbvision: device 0: i2c attach [Temic
PAL (4002
> FH5)]

You can see we find the SAA7111 video decoder and the Temic PAL tuner.
Both these are of some concern but the one that's probably causing you
the problem is the tuner.

If you look at the device information line you duplicated from the
(0x573, 0x4D00) you will see that it doesn't specify tuner it just
leaves the value as 0.  When we check that against the list of tuners in
linux-2.4.20/drivers/media/video/tuner.h we find:

#define TUNER_TEMIC_PAL     0        /* 4002 FH5 (3X 7756, 9483) */

So what it looks like is happening is that its just using that value for
the tuner, rather than what it should be.  What you will need to do is
experiment by placing different tuners in the config line until you find
which one is actually on your device.  I would suggest starting by
checking the Philips NTSC devices expecially TUNER_PHILIPS_NTSC and
TUNER_PHILIPS_NTSC_M.

The reason the video decoder is also of concern is that as far as we
know the (0x573, 0x4D20) "should" have the SAA7113 in it not the
SAA7111.  However the fact that the device seems to have attached
correctly would indeed indicate that you have a SAA7111.

Hope that helps, and let us know how you get on,

        Cameron Maxwell