Re: Hauppage WinTV PVR-250/350

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Michael Hieb wrote:

> I have the Hauppage WinTV PVR-250/350 installed on Suse 8.1 (i386). Can

Either one or the other; there's no combined card AFAIK (and it
wouldn't make sense either).

> someone please advise where to find drivers for this card?

Nowhere, except for the "prologic drivers" for a similar card,
requiring many tweaks and of dubious design and license.

NB: some people recommend *against* looking at those drivers for
legal reasons, if you want to develop your own.  You have to
make up your own mind about that; I've googled but found nothing
conclusive.  Well, if nothing else they may burn your eyes and
fry your brain. ;-)  See
<URL:http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1378>.  See
also other forums at that site for more info.  (PlasmaJohn lurks
here, IIUC.)

> For reference here is the lspci output...
>
> 00:14.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc: Unknown
> device 0803 (rev 01)
> 	Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4001

A WinTV-PVR-250, right?
PAL I PAL B/G or NTSC?  Or something else?

I have a WinTV-PVR-350.  I'm not sure I will be able to cook up
drivers, but will try.  Beware, MyFirstDriver(tm).  For all I
know the "leaked" prologic drivers are put there as a proof of
concept to lure suckers like me into writing a Linux driver for
the 350 and 250. :-}

I may not have bought this card if I had googled better before
buying; I mistook recent bttv improvements and related general
documentation changes as support for this card.  I don't
recommend buying any until there are Linux drivers.

I've got the IR working, but the card is too expensive for just
that. :-)  Besides, that's the simple part of the driver, using
existing chip modules with a trivial PCI driver framework.  The
I2C stuff is deducible using info PlasmaJohn has posted here and
elsewhere.  More later, maybe; no promises.  I really hope
someone else is working on this too.

brgds, H-P