Recommended Webcams

Hey, my company purchased me a webcam yesterday for my windows laptop.
It's a Creative Webcam PRO Model PD1030.  Unfortunately, using it on
my windows laptop sucks.  The audio from the laptop's card is awful,
and the video is rather slow.

So, I'd like to do the video conferencing from my linux box instead
if I can get it working.  Assuming I can find some software that'll
let me conference with windows machines.

Anyway, I did a quick perusal of the V4L resources and didn't see
this cam listed, and a google search turned up nothing.  I was going
to try and search the archive here to see if anyone had posted a list
of supported webcams but it's not searchable (that I can see).

Does anyone know if this cam works, or works well under Linux?  Are
there any resources you can point me to?  If not, returning this cam
and picking up a different model is doable.  Can someone recommend some
models that are particularly well supported?

And..not sure if this is a good forum or not...but have any of you
setup videoconferencing between windows/linux machines?  What
software did you use and how well did it work?

Thanks