Re: Easiest/Most Complete PVR

Derek L Davies wrote:

daniel jircik <pannomat@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

It runs Lindows which is a scaled back linux that they then try to sell you on a software subscription service.

 Lindows is debian based and apt-get works after the default
 install.  I haven't found anything "scaled back", unless you mean
 that it's not configurged well by default.  If you know Debian then
 it's easy to do the config.

 My cheapo All-in-Wonder board worked right away (ok I probably had
 to load a module and maybe do a bit of other config) with it, except
 that everything is B&W for me right now (haven't had time to look
 further).  This is a stock Walmart/Microtel $200 machine.  IMHO this
 is an excellent all around machine for the money; it's not really
 well suited to video, but you can get by with it.  So, sorry this is
 not the candiate for easiest/most complete, but I had to mention
 that it's not bad if you just want a cheap machine to watch TV on.
And record TV? Have you done any capturing? Can you capture without dropping frames?

Or, are there any v4l cards (that are cheap!) that do hardware compression on the boards, to take the strain from the CPU?
Thanks,
Michael