Re: Easiest/Most Complete PVR

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:27 PM, daniel jircik wrote:

It runs Lindows which is a scaled back linux that they then try to sell you on a software subscription service.

I would replace that with a RH or Mandrake anyway. I just meant this hardware is at least Linux compatible.

I heard they were abandoning that concept and were going to go with Mandrake, which IMHO would be an ideal starter distro.

They offer Mandrake, Lycoris and Lindows now. Walmart is probably the bigger Linux reseller now. :-)

Your probably going to bust your budget with strorage (200.00 usd for 120gb) and a hundred bucks for capture and display.

I don't need that big a hard drive, this machine will be networked to my OS X machine with a big hard drive.

Wait till after the holidays amd they will be giving them away at gas stations. I've seen 1.1 ghz Cellerons as low as 240.00.

I kind of wanted to buy from Walmart because it was pre-installed with Linux. I wanted to support that effort.

Michael

Daniel

Michael Stearne wrote:

Thanks.

Mpeg 1 is fine as I am more concerned with smaller file sizes than amazing quality. I mean watching a 352x240 file on a TV should look pretty good anyway...right? This $199 machine is appealing because I know it runs Linux and it's pretty complete. I want to be able to make the whole thing for $300.

Michael