From: Billy Biggs [mailto:vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 6:10 PM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xawtv help

David McBride (DMcBride@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> Sadly xawtv is not the program I really want.  I really want mpeg4ip
> working, specifically mp4live.  I worked on xawtv because I saw on the
> messages that everone always asked if xawtv worked.  Well, xawtv does.
> When I try to run mp4live the error is: "Failed to open /dev/video0:
> no such device".  How do I find out what device xawtv is useing so I
> can specify that device for mp4live???

  Careful.  You're using an ATI card with the GATOS drivers.  You must
load the 'km' module to get a V4L compatible /dev/video device,
otherwise the card provides an XVideo-based API to control the tuner
which is not useful for capturing frames for compression.

  The V4L interface exported through the km is a little strange though
and some apps do not like it.  As well, it only supports a read()-based
API and is poor for performance.  This is what people tell me though, I
do not own one of the cards.

  Good luck,
  -Billy

--