Re: freeze on motherboard with ali chipset

Hi!

On Friday 06 December 2002 16:10, x545 wrote:
> do (took me 1 year to find out):

Sorry, but I have forgotten to inform the list that I have the issue solved.
I have contacted the ALi support people, and asked about the workaround they
are using in their Windows driver.
And got the next reply:
----------------
Below is the workaround we add in our driver:
1. scan all devices located at bus 0
2. if device class code (PCI config offset 0xb~0xa) is 0x400, do
    2a. set latency timer (offset 0xd) of matched device to 0xa
    2b. set offset 0x40 bit 1 of matched device to 1
----------------

You can do the above using setpci and I have the next lines in my
/etc/modules.conf:
pre-install bttv setpci -s 00:0b.0 0x40.b=2 latency_timer=0xa
post-install bttv setpci -s 00:0b.0 latency_timer=0xa

The post-install is necessary because the bttv driver sets the latency timer
to 32 on its own. I think this is fixed in the 8.x versions (where you can
specify the latency value)

Alan Cox has already applied the above workaround to his 2.4.20-ac series, and
said that he will take care that the patch is applied to the mainstream
kernel.

So with this workaround you can use your tvcard in overlay mode. I'm also
attaching a script that applies the workaround - which determines
automatically to what card should be the workaround applied. (I have got the
script from Peter Samuelson as a reply to my query on linux-kernel@vger)

>From the steps you write down below I only have 2. and 3. applied. But I'm not
100% sure if they are necessary. AFAIK 2. is only needed if you have a SB
Live (read that in a FAQ on the Net).

Before applying the above workaround I could watch tv when xawtv was run in
grabdisplay (instead of overlay) mode.

I'm also using 2.4.20 but with bttv-0.7.xx.
But I have CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ set to Y. Do you think that this is a
problem? In the kernel config help it writes that it is safe to say Y here.

Regards
Zsolt