VID_TYPE_SCALES

Hi,

I'm working on a project that is being ported from Redhat6.0 to redhat 7.2
One of the requirements of the project is that a set amount of footage from
a camera is stored on disk, to be played back at any time, however it must
be dispalyed and look good at full screen size (blah de blah de blah).

Anyway, we currently use a set of BT848 cards (reported by the API as BT848A
Unknown) with which we had specially modified the bttv driver to rewrite the
microcode on the cards to scale the input to our desired size.
Porting this driver to 7.2 is probably a lot more effort than is worthwhile,
especially as any change in hardware will require the code being rewritten
again for each change in hardware.

I noticed in the API that cards can return the VID_TYPE_SCALES indicating
that the hardware is capable of scaling the image internally (exactly what
we ahve been doing but manually).

Does anybody have any information on what routes through the API there are
to enable and setup this hardware scaling?

If anybody has any other information about scaling or more tutorials about
how the v4l API works then that would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Information -

Previous Generation
BT848 Card, modified bttv.o, possibly a lot more modifcations that nobody
will bother telling me until the day before the project is due,
Redhat 6.0, display using SVGAlib and an internal graphics library

New Generation
Redhat 7.2, display using X with SDL and a (hopefully) rewritten internal
graphics library
Possibly a variety of Capture cards, however each must support Hardware
Scaling.

---
Michael Spall