Re: Another interesting read() question

>  If the user application has set up both video and vbi formats, what does
>  a read() call return? Video or vbi data?

Whatever the last (successful) S_FMT call specified in ->type.

If you want to read both video and vbi by reading from /dev/video0, you
have to open the device two times and use one filehandle for video and
one for vbi.

The same is true for streaming capture btw.  bttv + saa7134 will refuse
to set vbi formats if video capture is active on the same file handle
and visa versa.  This should be explicitly stated in the new, not-yet
finished v4l2 docs ...

Ideally the same should be done for overlay + capture (i.e. you can't do
both with the same file handle).  But we can't do that without breaking
v4l1 backward compatibility :-/

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.