Re: Video capture frame versus H/W Performance

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 11:03, youngbu wrote:
> In my think, At least , I should use Celeron 700 , Intel i810chip set
> and 128Mbytes RAM.
> How do you think?

Up to a certain amount, hardware is completely irrelevant. The box in
which you bought the card should pose some hardware limitations (I'd
assume a pentium or so as a minimum concerning performance, since 486s
simply can't keep up with the PCI data transfer). If you want to encoder
the video in realtime to MPEG from all 4 sources, you'd probably need
something like a dual 2GHz or so for full-size captures. Maybe even
more.

I don't see why you'd specifically need an Intel i810, though. A VIA
would work too (it'd just suck). You need a mainboard that can keep up
with four*RT-video data streams over the PCI bus (DMA). Intel usually
does a good job here (i845? old-but-nice-440BX? or maybe SiS instead of
Intel?). RAM: depends on the number of buffers you want to use. Assume 2
MB per buffer, 4 cards is 8 MB * number_of_buffers. For 8 buffers
(sensible default), you'd need 64 MB, plus some for the OS itself, so
128 would be a good start. If you want to encode video too, I'd play it
safe and guess for 256 as a minimum.

Anyway, this should all be described on the box in which you bought the
card.

HTH,

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>