Re: BGR->RGB

Are you sure that the simple byte flip is actually costing you a lot of
time ?  Have you thought about separating out your disk i/o thread from
the capture/byte flip thread and seeing which thread can't keep up ?

There's not guarantee that even if your v4l driver produced RGB rather
than BGR that it wouldn't just be doing the swap in the kernel driver,
and not actually gaining you anything.

Is there some reason you couldn't store BGR on the disk, and fix it
during playback ?  If you use xvideo for the final output, you might get
away without the byte-flipping if the graphics card can directly overlay
a BGR input.

One thing that might help your performance is doing some compression
before writing to disk.  Uncompressed RGB at 25fps is quite a hefty i/o
load if you capture at full PAL resultion, for instance (around
30MB/second sustained).

Are you sure your I/O subsystem can cope with that anyway, and you're
not losing most of your time waiting for the write() to return (when you
could be doing other work in your test program) ?

Mark

--
Mark Cooke <mpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>