ATI Video Card ?

Phil Lambert writes:
 > I just purchased a Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder Card, but haven't opened it
 > yet.  I am afraid that it may not work with UT03, does anyone out there
 > no for a fact if the card will work?  If not I will exchange it for the
 > 8500 AIW, if it will though that is great as I can save the money and
 > use the card.
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Phil

Unfortunately, the DRI drivers for ATI cards do not support S3TC
because of patent considerations (is this most trivial texture compression
also patented in Europe?). S3TC is needed for UT2003, so it will only
work with NVidia cards and with ATI cards that are supported by ATI's
own drivers. ATI's drivers are for 8500 and up and only work with
"made by ATI" cards, not with "powered by ATI" cards. I have the
latter but not the former, so I don't know how well UT2003 will run.
Someone on the DRI mailing list said he could modify the binary for
his "powered by ATI" card by changing the manufacturer ID, but
although the drivers started up, he still had some trouble and I think
crashes.

Marcus

| mocm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |