Re: bttv 0.8.46 errors: SCERR @ 16dd6000,bits: HSYNC OFLOW FBUS FDSR SCERR

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:31:01PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:

>   Careful, some tvtime filters are based on showing data from old
> fields, when motion isn't detected.  You might just be seeing artifacts
> from poor algorithms, but I kinda doubt it based on those weird errors
> you're getting.  How does the effect change when using greedy vs
> greedy2frame vs weave vs linear?

Oooops!  Major oops.  I don't for one second think this is a tvtime
problem, but rather feel strongly that it's a hardware (mismatched
with software (driver) perhaps?) problem.  I only offered up tvtime as
a comparison of software that uses both fields as opposed to xawtv
which only uses one.  The problem only happens when both fields are
being acquired/used.

>   I don't think it's an issue with showing both fields at once, but
> tvtime does keep, if it can get them, three buffers at all time while
> the card is writing into the fourth one (which is why we like to have
> you use gbuffers=4).  These old buffers are used for our reference
> frames.

I will try adding gbuffers=4.  I could try recording a bit with mp1e
and see how well the "stangeness" is preserved through the
compression.

> > I also see errors such as:
> > Nov 21 19:56:25 pc kernel: bttv0: SCERR @ 16dd6000,bits: HSYNC OFLOW FBUS FDSR SCERR*
>
>   This does freak me out.

I have not the foggiest what it means.  Any ideas?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell