Re: bttv 0.8.46 errors: SCERR @ 16dd6000,bits: HSYNC OFLOW FBUS FDSR SCERR

v4l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (v4l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> When I use xawtv, I get a fairly clean picture, but when I use tvtime,
> I get a picture that seems to show portions of previous fields.  Kinda
> like it's remembering previous field values and flickering a portion
> of the displayed frame back and forth.  This is not interlace
> artifacts or any such thing but looking like frame buffer memory
> problems of some sort.

  Careful, some tvtime filters are based on showing data from old
fields, when motion isn't detected.  You might just be seeing artifacts
from poor algorithms, but I kinda doubt it based on those weird errors
you're getting.  How does the effect change when using greedy vs
greedy2frame vs weave vs linear?

> I understand that xawtv only show every other field while tvtime shows
> both fields, de-interlaced so this seems like an issue with trying to
> use both fields at once.

  I don't think it's an issue with showing both fields at once, but
tvtime does keep, if it can get them, three buffers at all time while
the card is writing into the fourth one (which is why we like to have
you use gbuffers=4).  These old buffers are used for our reference
frames.

> I also see errors such as:
> Nov 21 19:56:25 pc kernel: bttv0: SCERR @ 16dd6000,bits: HSYNC OFLOW FBUS FDSR SCERR*

  This does freak me out.