Re: v4l2 questions

Hi Dave,

(I might not be the right person to answer all your question, but I'll
try nevertheless.)

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 04:50, Dave D. wrote:
> First, I see that there are a few different versions of videodev.h and
> videodev2.h.  None of which are the same.
> - videodevX(v020330) comes with it's own videodev.h
> - xawtv-3.78 comes with it's own videodev2.h
> - and then there's the videodev.h and videodev2.h in the kernel source
> tree.
> - I think I also saw libzvbi have it's own version of videodev2.h also
> Which one is the most recent and which one is the one I should use??

The videodev2.h in the current 2.5 tree, or the video4linux2 patches
from http://bytesex.org/patches/. Both are the same.

> Second, is videodevX obsolete now?  If so what took it's place?  If not,
> when I try and load bttv (either the 0.7.100 or the 0.9.1) it gives me

Yes.

> Third, any documentation on the new v4l2?  I know there's something at
> http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/. Is the the v4l2 old or v4l2 new? Could I
> use this website as a reference for the new v4l2 anyway?

It's outdated, but a good start. Michael is working on documenting the
new v4l2.

> Ok, and finally.. can someone give a quick description of what the
> video-buf and v4l2-common modules do?
> What about v4l-compat?  should this be used at all anymore?

videobuf is a video buffer helper lib, it does things like allocating
buffer memory, keeping track of DMA/kernel-/userspace memory sharing
etc. v4l2-common does some common stuff like converting timestamps etc.
v4l-compat provides a v4l1 compatibility module for v4l2-only drivers,
so that they can still be used with v4l1-apps. It translates v4l1 ioctls
to v4l2 ones.

HTH,

Ronald