Re: saa7134 and tvtime

Torgeir Veimo (torgeir@xxxxxxxxx):

> The problem with dragging windows around is very noticeable for me. I
> also see dropped frames only by changing window focus, but then again,
> I have only a P3750.

  I'm running sawfish/gnome on a P3-733.  When tvtime is run as root, I
set the priority very high on the process, so that it will beat out
things like X and the window manager.  I see no dropped frames when
moving windows or changing focus, only occasionally when resizing.

  If I run tvtime as a user, during a resize, moving around the window,
or even changing focus, I see dropped frames.  This is because tvtime is
doing alot of processing, and other apps want to run, so tvtime will be
forced to give up time to them.  Sometimes it's so bad that tvtime will
end up waiting for 70ms before being able to run again, and so of course
we will have missed an incoming frame.

  Applications requiring "low latency" even at the high numbers tvtime
requires like < 20ms should be run as root or at least at high priority.

> I wonder if a deeper look into how the window manager handles (read:
> if it compresses) StructureNotify, Enter/LeaveNotify & other events
> would reveal some seriously broken WMs. Some simple experiments showed
> that sawfish was much better than metacity in this respect.

  Optimizing the window manager to make it take less time during these
operations might help, but it ignores the fact that tvtime, like many
multimedia applications, requires latency guarentees and as such can not
run as a user process.  Try running tvtime while compiling.  Any time
tvtime sleeps waiting for an interrupt, it may be blocked for alot
longer than it should: here often for 20 or 30ms.  This causes frame
drops unless tvtime is at high priority.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx