Re: saa7134 and tvtime

Robert Reid (robreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> > Jerky might just be dropping frames too!  Also, you should make sure
> > that you're either running as root or have sufficient access to
> > /dev/rtc to get high resolution timing.  Otherwise the high
> > framerate isn't possible.
> >
> Running as root didn't seem to make any difference, no frame drops
> with -s except for one at startup or when I drag windows around. (rtc
> module is loaded ok)

  Sounds good.  The next release of tvtime will also tell you your
monitor's refresh rate.  What is yours set to?  This can also make a
difference in smoothness.

> > Run 'tvtime -s' to see an indication whenever an input frame has
> > been missed.  Also, please hit 'd' while tvtime is running using
> > something simple like linear interpolation and email me the stats
> > you get (they're printed to stderr).  I'm curious.
> >

> Two samples with pressing 'd':
> build top  2.60ms

  You have a nice, fast machine.

> blit top   5.75ms

  Your blits are taking a bit longer than I would like, but for PAL this
is reasonable.

> tvtime: top-to-bot:  19.50, bot-to-top:  20.57

  This is awesome.

  I think any problems from here forward are algorithmic so we can start
comparing algorithms.  Yes, linear and line doubling will look 'bouncy',
and should be the worst.  For normal television broadcasts, use one of
the two-frame methods.  Next I'll be putting in the film detection code
from DScaler which should help out quality on that type of material
_alot_.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx