Re: newbie question..

> Hello everyone..
> I recently installed redhat 8.0 and want to get my Hauppauge Wintv card
> working on it,c an anyone point me to a step by step tutorial on how to do
> it, i recently saw looked up the http://www.exploits.org/v4l/ but theres way
> too much info in there..

I just set up v4l for the first time a few days ago, and it turned out to
be fairly easy to do, though I have an ATI TV Wonder, not Hauppauge WinTV.
I'm not sure what kind of modules Redhat comes with by default.  If you
can do "modprobe bttv" then you're almost there.  If you can't do that,
you'll need to add support to your kernel.  In the kernel config, set
everything under "Character Devices -> I2C Support" to be a module, then
enable "Multimedia devices -> Video for Linux" and then "BT848 Video for
Linux" in the "Video for Linux" section (as a module).  I selected
"V4L information in proc filesystem," too, but I assume that's optional.
Then "make modules && make modules_install" and "modprobe bttv" should
load the drivers.  If things aren't autodetected properly, I assume
you'll get some error messages; for me things basically just worked.

Then it's just a matter of getting some software to use.  Xawtv seems
to be the standard workhorse program, so I'd try that out.  To be able
to do actual video grabbing, I've got to launch it with the "-noxv"
option for some reason (still haven't quite figured that out), but it
did basically work right away.  You'll have to play around with the
Xawtv settings a bit, most likely, too.  Oh, and I experience some
odd behavior running Xawtv as a user other than root, so obviously
I've got some permission problems.  I'd get it running as root first
and then try it out as a user.

I've been meaning to put together the beginnings of some kind of "Linux
Video Capture HOWTO," as I also noticed a lack of clear newbie-ish
documentation online.  It would just take you through the steps necessary
to get started, basically.  I probably won't get around to that for
awhile, though.

Anyway, hope that helps.

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,