RDS/RBDS

Hi,

I'd really like to see some support for RDS/RBDS in v4l2;
there is a flag V4L2_CAP_RDS_CAPTURE, but AFAIK right now
nothing uses it.

For a private program there is no problem with e.g. using
/dev/i2c-x to read out the SAA6588 registers (the Terratec
Cingery 600 uses this RDS/RBDS decoder chip), but if you
plan to integrate RDS support in a more general way into
programs like "kradio", it's a no go.

On the Terratec card, the oscillator needs to be initialised
to a non default value (it uses a 8.664 MHz crystal), and IMO
this initialisation belongs into the driver, as it is card
specific.

Furthermore, I don't know what other chips or means of obtaining
a RDS signal are used with other cards (maybe there are cards
around where error correction must be done in software?),
so ideally one would open a device /dev/v4l/rds and obtain
an RDS "stream" from there.

My question: I'm wondering how and where RDS support can be
added to v4l2? For the SAA7134 driver, would it make sense to add
another flag to "struct saa7134_board"?

Ciao,
Thomas

--