Yay, Terratec Cinergy 400 working!

After hours of compiling and recompiling and tears and anger, it finally
works :)

My system is Redhat 8.0 - default kernel was 2.4.18-14. In short, what I
did was... uhm.. well, what I should have done was:
- Get the 2.4.19 sources from ftp.kernel.org
- Get the v4l-patch from bytesex (v4l2-api-2.4.19.diff from "oldstuff").
- Make the patch believe I had 2.4.19-rc3 (?) by renaming the kernel
source directory; applying patch.
- Compile, install, reboot.
- Compile & install saa7134-0.1.11. (Edit the Makefile with full path to
depmod since it wasn't in my path;make;make install - piece of cake :)
 I think this is where you took the wrong turn, Henrik. At least I did,
believing I should get the newest (0.2.x) version. Yes, I got those
video-buf.h when compiling 0.2.x. Actually the patch-page says, but I
managed to read it at least fifty times without noticing :)
- /sbin/modprobe saa7134
- Started xawtv, sound and picture working :D Couldn't change channel
though, so the last tuned channel when I was in Windows was the only
thing I could see.
- /sbin/modprobe tuner
- In xawtv channels now could be scanned with arrow keys =)

I am happy :)

Xawtv isn't perfect, though. When I try to get it in fullscreen, the
video size stays the same, only with everything surround it turning
black (Except my KDE panel, that won't go away). And the pic quality is
so-so, probably because of no deinterlacing.
tvtime looks promising, at least it works in fullscreen _and_ has some
nice deinterlace filters. I'm not able to change channels there, though.
Some GUI controls wouldn't hurt either, but I guess they'll be there
eventually.

Hope this short summary can help someone :)

Because of my tv card and Gerd (Thanks, nice work), I got to compile my
first kernel, stop fearing Grub, and generally get more insight into how
my Linux works. Someone should write a descent doc, though :)

 Hugs and kisses
  Mikal Krogstad