RE: AverTV bttv problem (similar to week ago)

On  8 Nov 02 at 13:45, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> I'm running Gentoo linux 1.4_rc1, so the included kernel (2.4.19) can be
> built with bttv drivers, and I did so.  Those drivers (version 0.7.x, I
> assume) loaded just fine, but when I try to use the card (via xawtv, for
> example) the card captures poorly for about 5-15 seconds, and then my
> computer freezes completely.  I have to do a hard reset in order to
> restart my computer.

What hardware do you have? Do not you have VIA chipset on the motherboard,
by any chance? Most of PentiumIII VIA chipsets I saw cannot cope
with 32bpp RGB transfers from PCI -> AGP. Either try to get PCI videocard,
or use 16bpp.

If you do not have VIA chipset: set Poweroff button to 'immediate poweroff'
in the BIOS, and when lockup happens, hit (&hold) poweroff button.
If it powers off immediately, it could be driver/kernel problem. If
you have to hold button for 4secs to poweroff your box, your PCI bus
was locked up: get another hardware: either videocard (or videocard
XFree driver if videocard is something really strange) or motherboard
cannot cope with heavy busmastering.

You can try using vesafb + fbtv to rule out XFree videocard driver
from the picture...
                                            Best regards,
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@xxxxxxxxxx