RE: AverTV bttv problem (similar to week ago)

-----Original Message-----
From: video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Saul Farber
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 10:35
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AverTV bttv problem (similar to week ago)

Hello experts,

I have an AverTV 98 (bt878) PCI TV capture card installed in my
computer, and would like to use it under linux.

I'm running Gentoo linux 1.4_rc1, so the included kernel (2.4.19) can be
built with bttv drivers, and I did so.  Those drivers (version 0.7.x, I
assume) loaded just fine, but when I try to use the card (via xawtv, for
example) the card captures poorly for about 5-15 seconds, and then my
computer freezes completely.  I have to do a hard reset in order to
restart my computer.

I read the very similar thread on this list of about a week ago, but
found no solutions, unfortunately!

So I then installed the NEW v4l2 based bttv 0.9.x drivers.  I patched my
kernel to 2.4.20-rc1, and built the 0.9.x drivers.  They also loaded
just fine, and if I do an

$ xawtv -hwscan -debug2

the reported driver version is 0.9.1 via v4l2

However, I still have the same symptoms!  5-15 seconds of poor capture
(only the top 1/8 of the picture comes in) and then the computer
freezes.

Has anyone ever successfully gotten this card to work?  If so, can you
post your hw/sw configuration, and which bttv drivers you used?  I'm
willing to try anything at this point!

Some thoughts I had about possible incompatibilities:

1)  PCI conflict.  I'll try changing the PCI slot and removing other
cards to ease the bus (seems like a long long shot though...)

2)  GCC3.2 conflict.  Perhaps GCC3.2 just mangles the drivers!  I'll try
building/running on a GCC 2.95.x system.

No, I tried those, they didn't help either... Are you using Nvidia also?
I think the problem is with the video card ( but I was not able to solve
the it yet)

Orcan