Tuning TV Quality

Hi,
I'm sorry, I realise this question has been asked before both here and
elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any answers.
I'm using a TV arial cable splitter at the output of my video player to go to
the capture card and my TV.
The picture on the TV is much better. I'm using a LeadTek WinFast TV2000 XP
with the bttv video4linux drivers.
The picture from the card has some horizontal lines interferring, and the
picture goes pink whereever there is red in the picture - this only just
noticable watching xawtv, but horrible when capturing at a lower resolution
(haven't got the CPU power for full resolution).
The other funny thing is that if I tune in to the video, and then use the
video player to tune I get a better picture (yes I'm making sure to toggle
the VCR/TV on the video player), so it seems it's not a problem with the
connection between the video and the capture card.
I've tried the fine tuning in xawtv, but it only ever seems to make the
picture worse when I tune away from the normal frequency.

Thanks for any help

--
Chris Jensen

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity?  Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)