Re: Announcing tvtime!

John Coppens (jcoppens@xxxxxxx):

> > > sdloutput: Can't get a hardware YUY2 overlay surface, giving up.
> > > tvtime: SDL failed to initialize: no video output available.
> >
> > This is the reason you cannot run tvtime.  Your X driver output does
> > not support XVideo.  tvtime processes the input from your capture
> > card before displaying it, and therefore for performance reasons
> > requires that your output support hardware overlay surfaces.
> >
> > What video card do you have?  Is it something old that does not
> > support overlays, or do you not have the right X driver?
>
> I'm actually using overlay video with xawtv in camera (composite)
> mode.  I've switched between grabber and overlay mode without
> problems. And the switch _is_ made, just have to look at the CPU load!

  What xawtv calls 'overlay' is not what I'm talking about.  xawtv
overlay means that the capture card copies directly to video memory.
This means I can't do any processing on it, or composite my
on-screen-display to it.  When I say 'hardware overlay surfaces' and
'XVideo', I mean that your video card has an overlay component which
lets me use hardware scaling and colourspace conversion of my
deinterlaced output.

> The card is a newer FlyVideo2000, with the SAA7130 chip.  Video card
> is a SiS305.

  There seems to be some video code for SiS chips in X, but it's unclear
to me which cards might work with it, and which don't.  What version of
X are you running?  You can run 'xvinfo' to see if you have any XVideo
overlay surfaces.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx