Re: Announcing tvtime!

Torgeir Veimo (torgeir@xxxxxxxxx):

> >   tvtime is a high quality television application for use with video
> > capture cards. [...]
>
> Could you make channel change with the scroll wheel work? I've tried
> setting channel change keys to pgup/pgdn, but without results.

  Yes, this was just mentioned on #livid and I'm typing in the code now.
I don't have a wheel mouse so I didn't think of it...

> Are you planning on providing a right click menu to change channel,
> and to change program options, like descaler provides?

  I'd like to, but I'm more interested in doing a menu system on the
video frame so that it works on fbcon/DirectFB/my TV output.  I'll then
add mouse support for that on-frame menu.  At least, that's the plan.
Do you think a toolkit-based menu would be more useful?

> Can you say something about how it renders on screen? I guess it uses
> XShm and/or Xv? Are you planning on providing output plugins so that
> it could be used with eg vidix (from mplayer) output drivers, so as to
> avoid tearing?

  This is a bit of a sore point.  Right now I use SDL as an API to
XVideo, and fail if no hardware overlay surfaces are present.  Doing a
vidix driver will be trivial, but when you say 'to avoid tearing', what
driver are you talking about?  The XVideo drivers double buffer for
every card I can think of, is there one where the vidix driver does
better?

  I have a DirectFB output layer in tvtime CVS now that works with my TV
output (http://vektor.theorem.ca/graphics/tvout/).  No deinterlacing
needed, of course, I'm field-correct, I just use it for the OSD etc.  So
the idea is definitely to support multiple output plugins.

  Thoughts?  Comments?

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx