video capture using bttv

Hi,
  I have a Linux 2.4 machine with a video capture card
and a pan/tilt camera attached to it.  I have
installed the bttv module and it works.  I would like
to capture just one frame at a time in order to
analyze the pixel values.
  I can communicate with the capture card and it does
seem to give me back a table of pixel values.
However, I am not sure if the values shown are
correct.
  I would like to know the basic steps needed to
capture an image.  A link to a web page explaining the
steps would be fine too.
  So far, here's what I am doing:

	1. initialize the video_mmap structure
	2. ioctl() on VIDIOCGMBUF to get the frame size.
	3. use mmap() to map capture card memory to user
process memory
	4. capture a frame to the user process memory with
ioctl on VIDIOCMCAPTUREC
	5. ioctl on VIDIOCSYNC
	6. print out the contents of frame as hex numbers.

  Am I doing this right?  Is there any documentation
explaining the basic steps to grabbing an image?
Thanks.

Ankur