Re: Re: Parsing writes to /proc entries of V4L devices

Joe Burks wrote:

Greg originally suggested using driverfs, and mentioned that eventually all the V4L proc stuff will move over there. My only problem with using driverfs now is that currently everything V4L is nestled in /proc/video, so everybody knows where to go looking. If I'm off by myself and every one else is in /proc/video I don't see that as a good thing.

You won't be the only one for long... I intend to move the ov511 driver's /proc/video support over to driverfs before 2.6.0. With the exception of the /proc/video/dev/ directory everything in there is driver-specific anyway, so unless your driver already has lots of users you won't be causing much confusion by putting your stuff in driverfs.

In fact, many V4L drivers don't implement /proc/video at all. It was never an official standard by any means; instead, it was added by myself and one of the co-authors of ov511 in May of 2000.

--
Mark McClelland
mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx