Re: Frame grabbers with bt8x8 chipset

look at the Osprey 100 it is a pure frame grabber

At 10:52 AM 10/21/2002, you wrote:
Georgios Kapetanakis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this is getting slightly away from the core interest of the list, but
> I need your help once more. I am convinced now that getting a frame grabber
> with a bt8x8 chipset is the best way to go, as far as driver support is
> concerned (bttv).
>
> I know of only two frame grabbers with this chipset:
> - Imagenation PXC200AL
> - Sensoray 611
>
> Are there any more? Please note that I am interested in frame grabbers for
> computer vision, not TV/Tuner cards....

But what's the difference between a computer vision grabber and a TV
card with the channel set to the raw video input?
Following for example is the output of a test program I wrote using the
functions in linux/videodev.h to query the bttv driver. You can set the
channel to 1 to receive video. I'm pretty sure that the video quality is
mostly limited by the video format itself, and that any grabber will
produce similar output for a given NTSC or PAL signal. The only other
issue is progressive scan, where you grab only a part of an image, but
there you might be better off getting a dedicated camera with image
processing built into it.

Hello world. Today we are going to look at the video grabber at
/dev/video
name of /dev/video: BT878(Hauppauge (bt878))
VID_TYPE_CAPTURE Can capture to memory
VID_TYPE_TUNER Has a tuner of some form
VID_TYPE_OVERLAY Can overlay its image onto the frame buffer
VID_TYPE_CLIPPING Overlay clipping is supported
VID_TYPE_FRAMERAM Overlay overwrites frame buffer memory
VID_TYPE_SCALES The hardware supports image scaling
Type 0xEB
4 channels
1 audio device
Max width: 768 Max height: 480