A proposal - a step forward with the saa7134 problem

Hi,

I would like to contribute positively to the current issue of problems
with the saa7134 chipset.

If we can compile a list of all relevant pieces of information, the
commands to use to get them, any labels or board revision numbers, eeprom
contents/versions, log outputs, debugging flags etc, that *might* be
relevant to identifying differences in the operation of the saa7134
driver, then perhaps we can use that as a template for people to 'report'
with, and begin to compile a record of who has what problem and with what.
If someone has some webspace, we could post the results. A survey if you
like. However we need to try and cover as much as we can with the survey,
which means anyone who answers it must be prepared to spend some time on
it - even as far as opening their PC and examining the board perhaps. I'm
sure there are enough people here willing to put in this effort? I am more
than happy to assist with the design and collection of these surveys but I
can't do it on my own, and I lack a lot of the knowledge required to
identify key 'things' to record.

My hope is that it will become a step forward to working out what the
problem is - because patterns should become apparent, provided the survey
is properly designed. A survey with carefully designed questions will also
help to eliminate the misunderstanding and lack of consistent information
common with a descriptive email.

Please let me know if my idea sounds useful, and if you'd like to help.
Suggestions for info to be mentioned in the survey is welcome.

Thanks,
David.