From: video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Georgios
Kapetanakis
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 3:30 AM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  About a frame grabber

Alan,

As I've had experience with Brooktree myself (though in Windoze) using two
Data Translation (http://www.datx.com) frame grabbers, DT3131 and DT3120, I
can only say that I had an enormous amount of problems. I can hear you say
"yeah, but it's windoze" and I would have to agree. However, all this has
indeed put me off trying Brooktree again. Of course, it was (and still is!)
the drivers' fault that I can't do anything with those frame grabbers, not
the chipset itself. It has, however, shattered my trust to Brooktree and DT
mainly.

My initial recommendation to my department was the Matrox Meteor II, but
they say they can't afford such an expensive board, that's why I proposed
the Meteor clone for half the price.

Although Brooktree can be cheaper, isn't it true sometimes that "you get
what you pay for"? I mean, we got DT boards first because of the price (very
cheap), and two months down the road, we still(!) can't do any work!

Thank you for all your replies, they are most appreciated!

--
Georgios Kapetanakis
Department of Computer Science