V4l2 <-> LinuxDV ?

Hi all,

I am currently writing a linux driver for an external framegrabber,
which is connected to the pc via IEEE1394. I am up to provide a V4L2 capture device to access the video stream.

Looking at the linux ieee1394 drivers ( www.linux1394.org), I got the
impression that there are currently evolving (at least) two interfaces
for video streams (V4L(2) and "LinuxDV"), but I did not come across some
kind of bridge between them.
( In the ieee1394-devel archives, I found a topic about someone suggesting
to write some kind of adapter. He got positive feedback, but nobody
seems to have started working on this )

I'd now like to hear your thoughts about this issue.
As I'll have to connect both ends (firewire and v4l) anyway, perhaps I
might at least provide a starting point to connect the linuxDV - island
to the v4l2 world? Or has this thing already been done by someone?

BTW: Someone at the ieee1394-devel ml wrote, that a main reason to
create a new interface (-> the new dv1394 module) was that V4L2 does not
report dropped frames during capturing. Is this true? If so, that might
be something to fix before merging into the kernel...?

Regards,
Norbert