Re: v4l2 api

> Another (and IMHO better) approach is to allow
> multiple applications
> queue up capture requests.  If a second
> application asks for a video
> frame while the driver is busy capturing the
> frame for the first
> application, it can simply put the request into
> a queue instead of
> returning -EBUSY.  This might need some more
> changes through (depending
> on the current driver design).

I am very new in this area, and have not spent
too much time looking into the current
infrastructure, but I was looking into doing
something like this for supporting multiple
opens.

The 2 avenues I was going to look into are

1. Sort all frame requests (as long as the
requested formats were similiar or subsets of
each other) into a queue of requested buffers
with a global timestamp. Every attached/opened
client can then just pick up the buffer for the
timestamp that it requested. You could even have
multiple clients effectively snooping the same
feed.

2. Was to implement a very very simple scheduler,
which would "context switch" the video stream
into the next app that requested video buffers
and was still unsatisfied. If state changes can
be minimized (i.e. minimal reseting of format
info) fairly fine grained multiplexing should be
possible given the low data rate of NTSC/PAL.

Also, on the timestamp idea, does anyone here
know of the top of the head if linux on x86 uses
the TSC register of the CPU if it available (I
know, I know, I should go look at the code :-()

Thanx