video recording prolems

Hi,
	I run a woody debian system. I have downloaded mjpeg tools version 1.6,
and vstream 0.4.5-2.

My computer is an SMP dual 460 MHz system, 256 meg of ram, bt848 tv card.

I am experimenting with recording at a higher resolution then scaling
down to obtain a higher quality image. I have tried recording at a resolution
of 352x288, and the results on a vcd
appear to be worse than straight video recording. However my computer only
appears capable of saving data at a higher resolution without misses
by  directly saving raw data to a raw file.
I am having the following problems with the available tools.

My problems with lavrec from mjpegtools are
	- I cant see how to output raw data to a raw file device.
		(also, is this a sensible thing to do?)
	- It mutes the sound on my TV card, while streamer doesnt.

My problems with streamer are:
	- How do I find out how big the file size is if I
			output to a raw output device.

	- The format, using 4mpeg output format, is not accepted
			by lavtools/mjpegtools utilities. But the first few bytes of the
			file does indicate an attempt at this format.

Thanks in advance.