lavrec hangs if bt878 gets bad video-input

|   > Looks ugly. Some timing-problem in the routine which reads the video
|   > buffers?
|
|    That's totally driver-related, lavrec/streamer don't know anything
|    about
|    that. So I don't know, sorry. :-(.
What a pitty!

|   > Since xawtv does it right, I tried it's "streamer"-tool. It records
|   > perfectly 384x288+mono16 to MJPG(80%).avi
|   > (But that's the limit, CPU is at 99% and moving the mouse causes
|   > frame-drops with my K6-III/450)
|   >
|   > I installed v4l2 then and it reduced the frame-drops.
|
|    This makes me think, are you using BTTV-0.8? Then, you need to use
|    the
|    latest CVS of lavrec, lavrec in mjpegtools-1.6.0 is known not to work
|    with BTTV-0.8 (it's using 3 device-access-threads, and the BTTV-0.8
|    driver uses semaphores in such a way that that won't work). lavrec in
|    CVS uses 2 device-access-threads, and that works well...
|
|    Hope this helps,
|
|    Ronald

It helped. Thank you very much.
CVS-Lavrec, compared to streamer, uses only about half of the CPU, so I
can record at much higher resolutions. But there is an issue which
prevents me from using it for recording from analog camera. Sometimes the
quality of the video-signal my camera produces seems to drop below the
point where bt878 can give steady output. Maybe it's a jitter in the
bt878-output-framerate or bt878 drops a single picture, I can't recognize
it on the screen. In such situations "streamer" usually inserts a frame
and continues. lavrec inserts/deletes frames if the effect is low, but it
stops recording and hangs if the effect is harder (on scene changes or
in scenes where the camera has been heavily moved at record time).
It would be great if lavrec could become as stable as streamer in this
case. Another difference, maybe related, is, that streamer uses v4l2 (32
grep buffers give a very good protection against load peaks), while lavrec
(as far as I can see) uses only v4l1. Generally speaking I can say that I
always saw an improvement whenever I changed something from v4l1 to v4l2.
Is it reasonably possible to change lavrec to v4l2?

Regards,
        Ralf

|  Ralf Oehler
|
|  GDA - Gesellschaft fuer Digitale                              _/
|        Archivierungstechnik mbH & CoKG                        _/
|  Ein Unternehmen der Bechtle AG               #/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
|  E-Mail:      R.Oehler@xxxxxxxxxx           _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/
|  Fax.:        +49 6182-25035                    _/
|  Mail:        GDA, Bensbruchstraße 11,   _/_/_/_/
|               D-63533 Mainhausen
|  HTTP:        www.GDAmbH.com

time is a funny concept