Re: system hang in bttv driver on modprobe. PCI problem?

Joao Vieira wrote:

Don`t take me wrong, but have you tried to use a #
monitor video card?

I have a LAN, so I set the BIOS not to complain, then
removed my sound and video cards physically.  I booted it
up, then rlogged into the system, and did modprobe. It still hangs, no change.

I do not think it is a display problem.  after modprobe,
It does not answer to ping, and existing network connections hang.

I think I experienced something similar a few weeks
ago after I made my first Linux install:) using a S3
agp card.  After reinstalling several times and making
sure I was not doing nothing wrong, I decided to try
another video card (NVidia 16 mg) and since then
everything has been running smoothly...I found that
only some versions of the x server support hardware
acceleration and not all the video cards support this
feature, so this could be your starting point.

I hope that helps

Joao
--- Peter Silva <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I hope someone can point me in the direction of some
help.  The problem
is easy to reproduce, but I have no error messages,
just the system
locks up solid (no oops!) I have SGI KDB installed
and functional but it
does not come up when the hang occurs either.

Versions:
   started with redhat 7.3  standard kernel
(2.4.18++, with bttv 0.7.xxx)
   then tried 2.4.19 linus tree with v4l2 &
bttv-0.8.45... no change.

I started editing the bttv driver. and noticed that
it hangs in the file bttv-driver.c in the init_bt848 routine at the line which does "btwrite(val,BT848_E_SCLOOP);" If I comment out the line, it will hang on the next line, If I comment that one, it will hang on the one after that, etc...

These lines to write to registers on the ATI TV
Wonder Card (PCI id 00:09.0 which has a BT878A chip on it.) It seems able to do a couple of writes and then hang.

grumpy% lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C693A/694x [Apollo PRO133x] (rev c2)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
00:04.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C596
ISA [Mobile South] (rev 12)
00:04.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus
Master IDE (rev 06)
00:04.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB
(rev 08)
00:04.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C596
Power Management (rev 20)
00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree
Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
00:09.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation
Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs
SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB
Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 08)
00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B
100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 30)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics,
Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 04)
grumpy%

I would appreciate any ideas on how to proceed, or
pointers to people who might be willing to help.

Thank you.

Peter