Re: Picking the best card... -- avoid the ATI...

Joe Bleow wrote:

Hey,

I'm trying to figure-out which of two possible cards is the best to buy... So, does anyone have any feedback on either of theses cards:

ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner PCI
MSI TV- Anyware TV-Tuner PCI

Anyone out there have experience setting either of these up? Any feedback is appreciated.

I bought the ATI card two weeks ago, it locks up my machine solid on modprobe, every time, every kernel every version of bttv. It is listed in the supported cards, and all three chips are well known (bt878A, MSP3445G, and a Philips NTSC tuner) but it's been so much scrap silicon so far. I tried to get help in the last two weeks, but no-one has replied, so I am guessing no-one has a clue, and now I cannot return it (I wanted to help out the community by solving this, but not much luck so far...)

My setup: PIII with Asus P3V4X/533-U mobo, Matrox G400, SB Live OEM, 3Com905B.

I've tried the PCI quirks in the docs, removing all the other cards, disabling USB, nothing has affected it.

When I comment bits out of the driver, it just hangs a little later. I am guessing that it has more to do with the PCI bus, than the bttv driver, but I'd sure appreciate some help from someone with a clue (I am far from being a kernel hacker.)