vicam Webcam driver

Hi

I am trying to get my 3Com Webcam running on my Debian 3.0 box with 2.4.18 on it. I have the kernel recompiled with v4l and the vicam driver as modules. It picks it up ok with the usb portion in the devices, loads the modules it needs, and I made the /dev/video linked to /dev/video0 and the light comes on the cam. Any capture app I run (w3camd, vidcat, and a couple other ones I have found) ends up hanging the app and keeping the device open, a kill wont even bring it down, I need a reboot (so much for that 6 month up time!). As well I have tried a vigrab (that required no vicam driver installed) with no luck.

So it comes down to I have read every document I could find (finding usb-webcam support not to well documented and under beta) and looking for all the help and input I can get.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks
Arron