Success Story - Part 2 : the recording

Hi again,

For those interested, I continue my saga.

(ATI TV wonder VE, own brand ATI xpert2000+tvout)
(previously: xawtv worked out of the box)

I quickly managed to get mpeg1 recording working using ffmpeg - although sound didn't record. That is, until I switched it on in the audio mixer - silly me!) Playback ALWAYS hung the machine. (xine, mplayer, whatever)
To cut a long story short I worked out that it was a problem with the video card and after a few dead ends found that auto install setup had called it a Rage 128 when there was an option Xpert2000. I tried it on the correct setting and it works great!

I have to use '-vo x11' as a parameter to MPlayer otherwise it completely scrambles the screen and needs a reboot. Anyone know if this is a significantly slower way of writing to the display ?

Also, I'm not that happy with the video quality and the audio is rarely in sync - but I've still got patches I can apply and I intend to switch to divx at some point.

OFF TOPIC: (anyone tell me how I can answer this questions)
Scenario : install Red Hat 7.3, install windows (for testing only, honest !)
problem : grub has gone
Question : er, how do I resinstall grub ?
(believe me, I tried, I ended up completely reinstalling the whole of RH as it refused to do anything to the boot loader without kernel updates being required)

Lee Sanders.

Compupower Systems - Harness the power !

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag