Re: Gnomemeeting and videum cards,

Quoting Auzie Morgan <auzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Ok Xawtv, Avicap (avifile nice easy build divx encoder / player and
> more) No problem,,
> Gomemeeting and my IBMCAM driver,, no go..
>
> Gnome meeting cant seem to translate the device pallet?
> Your driver doesn't support the rgb15l format.

It does not, indeed. It had been decided that a v4l driver should only
produce the stream in one format, preferrably closest to the native device
format (palette). A driver must not convert palettes - this is difficult
to do in kernel space, awkward to do without FPU, makes the driver much
more complicated and crash-prone, and pollutes the kernel space with
similar-but-different pieces of conversion code (in each driver).

The ibmcam driver produces BGR24 - this is almost the native format in
many IBM/Xirlink cameras.

It is gnomemeeting's responsibility to take one of standard formats and
make use of it. xawtv, for example, does exactly that.

> Please check your kernel driver documentation in order to determine
> which Palette is supported. Set it as GnomeMeeting default with:
> gconftool --set "/apps/gnomemeeting/devices/color_format" YOURPALETTE
> --type string

If gnomemeeting can be configured for BGR24, then it should work. Couple
of years ago I wrote a patch for voxilla (openH.323 client) to accept
BGR24, and the patch is still somewhere on http://www.linux-usb.org.

> I also have an ibmcam but it doesnt like the videodevX setup.. :(

I don't understand that, sorry. You'd better be more specific :-)

Dmitri

--
119. I will not attempt to kill the hero by placing a venomous creature
  in his room. It will just wind up accidentally killing one of my